Pages

Tuesday 25 March 2008

Sketch Tuesday Blue...experiment update

This weeks Sketch Tuesday was to draw something blue, so here are the pictures Tom and Annie drew

This one is Annie's



this is Tom's



Next weeks assignment is to sketch something alive.

Check out the other 29 sketch's at Heart of Harmony, there are some lovely hues of blue.

Now for the update of Stalactite and Stalagmite experiment, unfortunately it's not gone well, or I should say it's not gone as expected. (But that's often the case is it not with experiments!!!)
In this first picture, you will see we swapped the large white plate for a small saucer, on it you can see where the liquid has dripped causing white staining, the string had become rock hard, and had crystallised, but not was not showing the proper shapes of the stalactites and stalagmites.





We stirred the water, and changed the saucer for a toy saucer so the string was drooping more, it then went all soggy! You can see the drip of water in this one. There is a puddle in the toy saucer too! Although you probably can't see it around the edges of the saucer it is starting to crystallise.


3 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Great job on Sketch Tuesday! Glad you joined the fun!

I remember doing that experiment when I was young... I have not done it with my kids though...

Have a great day! Lisa

Paper Dali said...

Hi, CJ.
I wanted to thank you for delurking on my site. : ) And now I've got your blog to read ...

Your experiment reminded me that I need to plan some for the kids. We're so good about reading about science, but not so great about the experiments.

I bought tomato seeds this afternoon. Does that count? LOL

Lisa said...

Love the sketches! I'm watching the experiement with interest. I just posted about binders on SHE forum!

Lisa x