Pages

Monday 7 April 2008

Singapore Placement Test

I'm working on sorting out Maths at the moment.

Annie just took the Singapore placement test and scored 72%, on 1A so I'm more than happy.

Tom on the other hand was in a grumpy mood, I thought I'd make it easy on him and a booster in confidence and gave him 2A, he should be doing about 4A. He scored 54% and missed chunks out that I know he can do.

After marking it, along with tears and wails (that's just me) he sulked for a while, after I told him, if he had to go back school they would drop him down a class or 3 (I know, bad mother)*rolls eyes*

He then asked if he could do another one, so I gave him 1B, needless to say he got 94%, the mistakes he made were minor as well.

This then did boost his confidence and now he's asking for more, but I'm going to hold off.

The placement tests have told me what I needed to know.

5 comments:

Claire said...

How are you? I hope you are recovering well from your op and that you're being very kind to yourself.

I've always backed away from taking any of the level tests. I prefer to bumble along in ignorance as I suspect I'd have a bit of a stress attack if we were way off what we are *supposed* to be.

Always Learning said...

I'm feeling loads better, thank you Claire.

I've had lots of rest, still got to take things easy, but getting there.

Regarding the tests, I can understand what you are saying :-) the reason I took these, was so i knew what books to order. I think test can put undue stress on a child. Tom was just being grumpy. That said he now wants to do more...most bizarre, kida are fickle aren't they.

CJ x

Ruth said...

I didn't do the tests either and my two are on 3 a and 3 b. If I had done the test we would have bought 1a lol. Tests and them do not mix. I hope you are recovering well.

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

Thanks for posting that link--I've wanted to see what their workbooks look like.

Hope you're feeling better!

Always Learning said...

I'm feeling much better thanks for asking Ruth and Elizabet :-)

Hoping to get back in the swing of things again next week.

CJ x