Pages

Thursday 27 November 2008

First Language Lessons - English

The latest buzz at the moment on SHE is First language lessons by Jessie Wise from The Well Trained Mind

I already had First languages Lessons (FLL) 1-2, but at the time A wasn't ready for it, and she showed no interest at all.



A has had this week ill off school, so I decided to start FLL 1-2 with her, she has done really well, she has had to memorise a poem by Cristina G. Rossetti, called The Caterpilillar and I have to say she learnt it pretty quickly. She has also been asking any adult about if they know what a Noun is. Then she will proceed to tell them, A Noun is a Person, Place, Thing, or Idea. This is only 3 lessons in! As a parent or teacher you have to play an active role in teaching it, but the lessons are scripted out, which makes it incredibly easy. There is 2 years worth of lessons in FFL 1-2

I've just bought FLL level 3 for T,


along with the workbook that goes with it


They are huge books, and I feel they are value for money, as I will be able to use both books with the other children, the workbook is consumable, but after looking at it, I think I can adapt it easily enough for the excersixes to be to in a notebook, while viewing the workbook. There is a years worth of lessons in this book.

I've enjoyed this week with A at home, I feel I've had a taste for HE again and it's a nice feeling to have.

*edited to add*

If you go to peacehillpress.com This gives you the blurb about First Language Lessons level 1-2, it also gives you sample pages, the link is just below the authors name (Jessie Wise). There is the list of contents, and the first 8 lessons listed, plus a couple of later lessons.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm just not buying anything else LOL, Ok so I bought quite a bit for Living Maths last night, that SHE is a menace! Glad you had a nice week :0)

Always Learning said...

SHE is certainly a menace regarding spending money ;-)
I've been looking at Living maths, I'm trying to hold out for now.

CJx

Claire said...

I can't get logged in to SHE these days and I can't reregister as I'm already registered :-(

Always Learning said...

Hi Claire, I'll put your message up in SHE and see what they advise.

I'm surprised you just can't reregister with a new name, maybe it tracks your ISP, so already says you are there.

Will let you know an answer when there's a reply.

CJ x

Anonymous said...

Hi CJ,

I take it this is a set of English Language study books?

The Amazon page doesn't say much. Does it have a rough age range for the first books?

Julia
x

Always Learning said...

Hi Julia,

Yes they are English Language lessons

If you go here to Peacehillpress.com

http://www.peacehillpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=104

This gives you the blurb about First Language Lessons level1-2, it also gives you sample pages, the link is just below the authors name (Jessie Wise). There is the list of contents, and the first 8 lessons listed, plus a couple of later lessons.

As for age, I think a very bright and articulate 5 year old could mangage, I bought the book a year ago and Annie then 6 was just not interested, now she's 7, she has lapped the first 5 lessons up. This level would be not suitable for Tom though, thus I bought the next level up for him.


If you look at the first lessons you will get a feel for the book and whether it would suit you and yours. :-)

CJ x

Anonymous said...

Thanks CJ, the website explains very well. Mine are a bit young for it yet, but I'm always on the lookout for things to use in the future!

Julia
x